Sunday, May 27, 2007

Beware of Hole

So I had perhaps my most memorable moment in Mysore a few nights ago. Not only did I do something I’ll never forget but I’m pretty sure I’m now infamous among the whole rickshaw community. My greed had gotten the best of me, so a group of us left for Coffee Day after dinner. I’d walked to the little area where rickshaws gather a million times but tonight was different. To avoid running into some people walking towards me, I walked over a set of rocks. I stepped onto the first set of rocks. The next step I took resulted in me landing in a hole on the side of the road. I was waist deep in god knows what.

Apparently the rocks had been placed around the hole to keep people away. I was so startled I couldn’t even scream. Everyone gasped. All I could think about as I was falling is that some firetruck would have to be called to rescue me, only there’s no firetruck here in Mysore. Then, I thought what if there’s snakes down here or what if I’m covered in cow crap. I had fellow students, every rickshaw driver around and a man on a motorcycle telling me to get out “Very slowly, very slowly.” I got asked if I’d torn my ACL, how was my ankle? This was the first time I had to truly ponder possible healthcare options in India. What if I had been hurt? Would I have been well taken care of at a hospital? Would the doctor even be there at this time of night?

Thankfully, I was ok. With the help of some friends, I got back on solid dirt again. With cut up hands, ripped pants and a bruise on my left side, I still went to coffee day. I needed it after the fall.

No comments: