Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Vanity



After getting to Badami we headed to look at some old caves from the 5th and 6th century. The caves have various depictions of Visnu and Shiva. What is so amazing is the immensity of the cave and the fact that all that created them was a chisel.

After admiring the caves, a few of us went to investigate some loud live music that we heard playing. It was a wedding! I never got an actual good view of the wedding because a bunch of kids got to me before I could get to the wedding. They all yelled “photo, photo.” After I took photos of them and showed it to them, they would stare intently at the camera looking at themselves. It was incredibly sad, I don’t know if I was sad for them or more sad for me.


I realized that they don’t wake up and look in the mirror every morning like I do. They don’t spend ten extra minutes making their hair look perfect. They don’t know exactly what they look like. I didn’t realize that I take my own vanity for granted. I expect to know what I look like, to be able to look at myself when I want to. Vanity to an extreme is not good. But in America, it can’t be denied that our identity is so tied to our appearance, our vanity.

We’ve spent a lot of this trip pondering our practice of medicine versus the Ayurvedic practice of medicine. This instance made me think about our all consuming, vanity driven plastic surgery business. I wonder if the same kind of business flourishes here in India. I’m sure it might in the cities (I can find skin bleaching cream in a smaller city, Mysore) but not in the country.
When I think back on the day. I think of how all the kids I photographed have such a strong sense of self without even knowing how beautiful they are.

No comments: