Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ayurvedic Hospital...a letdown

After visiting the Swami Vivikenda Youth Movement, the Ayurvedic hospital we visited just doesn’t compare. It was rundown and dirty. I would not want to be treated there. It was supported by the government. It’s interesting that the NGO of the Swami Vivikenda Youth Movement was nicer and was not supported by the government at all. It’s the opposite of how I thought it would be.

It makes me question how much faith the Indian people can have in the government when it comes to healthcare. The government cannot be trusted to keep its people healthy. At the same time, the government is really all you have because an NGO can run out of funding or lose its staff. So what are the people here to do? How do you hold a government accountable that is corrupt? How do you stay healthy enough to provide for your family when you don’t have the money for a private doctor?

I’ve always taken my health for granted. I’ve never worried about getting quality healthcare or finding a good doctor.

No comments: